The Guildhall has occupied the same site for 700 years and has undergone many changes since. In 1556 the Royal Charter of Philip and Mary defined Brecon as a Corporate Town which allowed the town to appoint Bailiffs and Aldermen who were the forerunners of present day Mayors. The replacement of the first Guildhall which consisted of a two storey wooden building took place in 1623 by John Abel. By 1770 a replacement of Abel’s building was needed and was carried out, on the same site, by builder Andrew Maund. In the early 19th century the building housed an armoury, a market hall and court. Another renovation was completed in 1888 giving the form which we see today, which includes a Council Chamber on the ground floor and Theatre on the first floor.