Refurbishment of Brecknock Museum & Art Gallery
The Interpretation Project led by the Brecknock Society and Museum Friends (BS&MF) in co-operation with Powys CC museum staff will provide 45 digital screen terminals (see image) in the galleries of the refurbished Brecknock Museum & Art Gallery in y Gaer. At each terminal, visitors will be able to find screen displays that interpret key exhibits to be seen nearby. These so-called 'digital labels' will enhance the visitor experience by adding both interest and depth to the limited information that is traditionally provided on printed labels for exhibits in museum and art galleries.
The digital screens together with their customised software and secure mountings are being supplied by Blackbox-av of Port Talbot - specialists in digital displays. These are funded through a grant to BS&MF awarded by the Garfield Weston Foundation.
The volunteer team The BS&MF is building up a team of volunteers from across Breconshire to assist with researching and assembling interpretative material on selected objects that will be covered by the digital screens. Please read our Invitation to Potential Volunteers - click here - if you think the volunteer task may interest you. The BS&MF has currently been given a list of 136 objects to be exhibited in the Brecon and Brycheiniog Galleries to work on by the museum staff. More objects will follow, probably making 200+ objects in total.
Project activities and timescales The Interpretation Project runs from April 2018 to the end of March 2020. Research work by an initial group of volunteers started in October 2018 and further recruitment of volunteers continues. The digital screen terminals will be installed in December 2018. The project aims to produce and upload at least one digital label on each of the 200+ objects to covered by the digital screens by end February 2019 in time for the opening of y Gaer. Work will then continue up to end March 2020 on producing and uploading more digital labels to provide further interpretation on the 200+ objects.
The project process for carrying out the research and assembly of interpretative material, and for other activities involved in delivering outputs from the Interpretation Project to the refurbished Museum & Art Gallery is shown in a process diagram - click here.
Details of objects in the Interpretation Project These are summarised in a master 'List of objects' (Excel spreadsheet - click here) and in PDF files of 'Object images' (see bullet under 'Supporting documents' below). The original pages exported from the Museum's Modes database for the Interpretation Project can be accessed here as JPEGs. These contain higher resolution images of the objects. All these will be updated as and when more objects are given to the Interpretation Project by the Museum.
Allocation of specific objects to specific volunteers From mid October 2018, the Project Team in discussion with volunteers is allocating specific objects for each volunteer to deal with. This is process is co-ordinated by Liz Bickerton and the master List of Objects (Excel spreadsheet - click here) will be updated from time to time to show which objects are allocated or still unallocated.
Supporting documents on the Interpretation Project accessible from this webpage are listed below:
- Invitation to Potential Volunteers from BS&MF as we continue to build up the volunteer team - click here to view / download a PDF file.
- Volunteer Form for registering interest to be an Interpretation Project volunteer - click here
to view / download a PDF file; and click here to view / download a Word docx file.
- List of objects in the Interpretation Project (v3 11.11.18) - click here to view / download an Excel file currently containing 136 objects to be in the Brecon and Brycheiniog Galleries. The objects that have now been allocated to Volunteers are highlighted in Column C of the full list.
- Pages of files of objects exported from Museum Modes database To go to a subsidiary
webpage in order to download a medium resolution jpeg of each page of the files of objects
exported for the Interpretation Project from the Museum’s Modes database - click here.
- Object Images - to view / download four PDF files, click here for the 60 objects to be in the
Brecon Gallery; click here for the 76 objects to be in the Brycheiniog Gallery; click here for the 44 artworks to be in the Permanent Art Gallery; and click here for the 10 artworks to be in the Courtroom.
- Process for delivery of outputs to y Gaer from the Interpretation Project - click here to
view / download a PDF file.
- Layout of Museum & Art Gallery - click here to view / download a PDF file showing plan of the Brecon
and Brycheiniog Galleries and click here to view/download a PDF file showing a ground floor plan of the Museum & Art Gallery.
- Volunteer Timesheet - click here to download a PDF file; and click here to download a Word docx file
- Guidance to Volunteers on research and assembling interpretative material - click here to go to a subsidiary webpage to view / download a PDF file with the Interim Guidance document, together with seven Annexes (A to G), each of which is viewed / downloaded separately.
BS&MF Principal Contacts for the Interpretation Project are: